Using winebuild explicitly

Ralf Juengling juenglin at cse.ogi.edu
Mon Jan 5 16:40:25 CST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 13:04, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> > There is at least one difference in using a wrapper & dll vs.
> > using a single executable: The function GetModuleFileName
> > doesn't yield the path to the program (the wrapper) with the
> > wrapper-approach (there was some discussion on this in another
> > recent thread). Thus, having such flag in winegcc would indeed
> > be nice...
>
> Alexandre is working on a patch to completely remove the
> need for such wrapper. Hopefully it will be committed soon
> enough so we will not have to create such an option.

Cool, that's good news.

> > Did so. wineg++ invokes winewrap (without passing on the
> > "-v" flag, though) which in turn generates same files
> > and compiles them.
>
> Yes, it doesn't, but you can just copy the winewrap command, add the -v and invoke it manually.

That's how I found out which step actually failed...

> > The directory in which libwine.so.1 lives, is contained in my
> > /etc/ld.so.conf. Are you saying this should be enough for gcc
> > to find the library file?
>
> Right, that's how I thought it's supposed to work.
> Did you rebuild the ld cache after updating /etc/ld.so.conf?

Yes, I did.

gcc -shared -Wl,-Bsymbolic,-z,defs -lwine -o phaeaco.exe.so
/tmp/wwrpwsPFIV.spec.o /tmp/wwrpwsPFIV.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lwine
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Error: gcc failed.
[juenglin at alpspitze bongard]$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)

Maybe, this assumption is simply wrong and gcc doesn't look up
dynamic libraries that way (at least its man page doesn't say so).
The reason that only I have this problem and noone else might be
due to my wine setup: I configured with "--prefix=/local" so the
libs cannot be found in any of the standard places (/usr/lib
or /usr/local/lib).

Ralf