Comment on new file implementation

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Jan 7 00:48:04 CST 2004

On January 6, 2004 04:25 pm, Eric Pouech wrote:
> Every volume on each available volume (partition on a physical disk) on
> the system will be listed in ${WINEPREFIX}/device directory.

Hi Eric,

I have to admit I haven't read the patch, but the idea looks good.
I personally like the use of the filesystem for this sort of thing
(I'm a one-value-per-file kinda guy, and I'd put a lot more into
the filesystem, generally speaking, if I had my way :)).

Here are a few random thoughts on it:
  -- it seems we're duplicating a bit stuff like udev/proc,
     but we can't rely on them, so I guess it's not a big
     deal. However, somehow we should keep in mind that
     udev will allow for hotplugging disks etc, and we should
     keep an open eye to integrate with that in the future.

  -- I assume ${WINEPREFIX}/{dos,}device point somewhere
     in the user's home dir (~/...), right?

  -- I hope Alexandre likes the idea, and we can get it
     in sooner, rather then later (before WineConf? :))

Cool stuff.

--
Dimi.