Wine troubles on Diskless workstations.....

Alex Stewart Roboman at energeticvisions.com
Thu Jan 8 14:15:59 CST 2004

Hi,
	Below is a thread I started in the wine-users list but so far
no seems to know the answer. I've tried their suggestions but
they dont work. I think its a simple question (maybe not I dont
really know thats why I have the question)
How does wine store the path to its libraries? Simply put I changed
the prefix var in the wineinstall script to point to a different "root"
path for a diskless client system. The path is the root folder that
gets made into a compressed tar.gz for the ram disk. Anyway
as you would think/probobly guessed when I run wine on the client
the path to the libs are not correct, they still point to the path on
the
server instead of the true root (/lib/wine)..... Thanx a bunch in
advance!

-Alex

PS- If I didnt explain to well above the drawn out thread of what Im
doing
and why is below....Thanx for your time!

> Then perhaps you should build wine with the prefix that the clients
> will
> be using. You may need to create a chroot'ed environment that emulates
> what the clients will be using.

The problem with that is the Diskless clients are "Thin" ie they have a
minimal
system and thus no rpm management or a compiler (no gcc).

> This is, of course, the problem you're actually having. You're pointing
> the install directory to a directory that doesn't exist for the
> clients.

Right. If I did point it to the correct path it would install on the
server's
local lib folder which the clients have no access to.  If I rebuild wine
(now that it has installed in the client root system) with the correct
path would
all I need to do is snag the new binaries from the bin folder of the
server
and put them in the bin of the client root? Sorry I keep asking this but
WHERE is this path stored? Because its not in ./wine/config    I cant
seem
to find it anywhere. I ask because if I do rebuild and its not
hardcoded in
the binary and it aint in ./wine/config then the problem will persist
because
I dont know where to change it back!