Broken Mandrake packages

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Thu Jan 8 16:24:12 CST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 22:06, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Actually there used to be a reason to do that, when dlls needed to be
> in the Unix library path to get loaded properly. The default was to
> add symlinks in /usr/lib, but it wasn't very clean to have a bunch of
> dlls in there so it made sense for packages to put everything in
> /usr/lib/wine instead and change ld.so.conf. However this is fixed
> now, and today there's no reason to change the standard layout.

While we're on the topic, it seems that Wine figures out where the dlls
are either by using a compiled in macro or by read an environment
variable. As part of my other project, we developed a small piece of C
that reads /proc to determine the prefix of any given ELF object so it
becomes possible to make binary relocatable Linux programs easily.

Would you accept a patch to use this code on Linux systems to figure out
where to load the DLLs from? That way Wine can be installed to any
prefix and it works automatically, no need for wrapper scripts or
anything like that.

thanks -mike