Allow runtime control of the number of X11 fonts

Bill Medland billmedland at
Thu Jan 8 19:18:24 CST 2004

On January 8, 2004 04:45 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Bill Medland <billmedland at> writes:
> > Bill Medland (billmedland at
> > Allow runtime increase in the maximum number of fonts processed.
> Do we really need a config parameter for that?  Actually, do we really
> need a limit at all?

No idea.

Can you pass something to XListFonts to say "no maximum"?

I had a client who actually (seemed to) fell over that limit (using x
terminals etc.).
It seemed that a trace message that told the client to change a compile-time
constant wasn't much help.  So I made the change.  That was ages ago.  (It
didn't actually help; there were other issues; I don't remember).

Anyway, if you don't want it then throw it away.

Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at