slight trouble running winetests under windows

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Jan 14 09:24:46 CST 2004

On January 13, 2004 08:06 pm, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> The main problem is that winegcc only knows about gcc, and we want
> Wine to build with other compilers too. So no, we can't use it yet.

Good point. Situation is not too bad though. Wine source is not gcc
specific, so we can invoke whatever compiler ./configure detected.
It's true, we're currently passing -fshort-wchar and -fPIC which
are gcc specific, but we cat easily test for these things in
./configure, and add them only if the compiler supports them.

To summarize, here are the gcc-specific dependencies that I see:

  winegcc
    -fshort-wchar
    -fPIC

  winewrap
    -Wl,-Bsymbolic,-z,defs,-init,__wine_spec_init,-fini,__wine_spec_fini
    -shared
    -fPIC

It is easy to just use what ./configure figures out instead.
I know, if we do that winegcc will be forced to use the same
compiler that was used to build Wine. It's a bummer, but also
kinda theoretical problem for now, as all binaries are build
with gcc. I think we can worry about this issue when it does
become a real problem.

--
Dimi.