DPA_Create/Search may be missing

Rolf Kalbermatter rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com
Fri Jan 16 17:33:50 CST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Hans Leidekker wrote:
>> Did you by any chance build the test with MinGW?

>No, I compiled it with Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0. I made sure to get the
>latest and complete Windows SDK too as the previous one I had was
>missing 'shlwapi.h'.

Well those DPA (and DSA) functions are a little bit messy. They have been
exported from the DLL since the start only by ordinal except maybe with
Windows XP.
The original Windows 95 SDK contained them all in the import libs (but no
headers with the definitions) then they disappeard entirely from the SDK
and were only lately added again to the SDK documentation together with
many other undocumented shell32 functions. The import libs however missed
them until SDK of February 2003 and there some, namely at least DPA_Create
and DPA_GetPtr are still missing, requiring an application to either load
them dynamiclly by ordinal or creating a separate import lib for them at
least if you want to use Visual C ;-). Wine being smarter of course
creates the correct import libs for its own use based on the spec files.

Rolf Kalbermatter