winecfg: a patch to review

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sat Jan 17 11:41:18 CST 2004

On January 17, 2004 10:55 am, Chris Morgan wrote:
> Shouldn't we be adding things that:
>
> - Won't be obsolete in the future
> - A majority of users actually need to use

I think you are correct. The settings that Mike mentioned
were listed already under the regedit-only already. I think
they should remain there.

> I agree that [Version] should be an app specific setting, it is a
> frequently used option.  Maybe we can roll version settings and the Dll
> settings tab together into an "Application" tab?

I think this is a good idea. In general speaking, this per-app
settings is a hack required by poor implementation. Windows
doesn't need it, so we should be fine without it. Therefore:
  -- we should try to minimize it's use
  -- eliminate it in the future
  -- not encourage people to use it, unless required
Thus cluttering the interface with it would be a bad plan IMO.
Having it in a separate tab can keep us honest to not
overuse it, and to more easily get rid of it in the future.

--
Dimi.