RFC on our new initiative

Mike Hearn mike at theoretic.com
Tue Jan 20 14:24:54 CST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 19:56, Jeremy White wrote:
> Further, note that I
> didn't say it would run 95% of all apps *perfectly*.  That, I
> think, is too much.

Ah. The small print comes out ;)

> I think back to 23 months ago when Wine barely could run MS Office,

Was it really only two years ago? Amazing. I once read that reports of
MS Word working came in first around 1995, and naively assumed that
meant it actually worked, the rest of office at least started etc.
Clearly not.

> and where we've come to from there, and I think it's doable.
> I think it's particularly doable if Desktop Linux continues to
> accelerate and we get a bunch more help to make it happen...

Ah yes, exponentially scalable growth. Let's hope so. Graphs of cvs
commits/patch sizes would be neat. I might stick that on my (long) todo
list :)

> But I am concerned about the impact this will have on the
> appdb.  I didn't really want to step on the toes of anyone
> that has been working on the appdb; that's a hard and largely
> thankless job.  But I still believe in the original
> vision of the appdb (that's why I paid Jer to build it);
> I just think its going to work better in a context where
> it has a chance to pay for itself, so I can afford to pay
> someone the dirty job of keeping it up to date.

OK, I understand now. Glad that's cleared up.

> We're genuinely trying to figure out the best way forward, and we want
> to do what's best for everyone involved.
>
> As a result, we're very open to suggested changes.

I've not got any suggested changes really, I was just being difficult :)

thanks -mike