File change notifications

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:23:24 CST 2004

Uwe Bonnes wrote:

>     Duane> Hans Leidekker wrote:
>     >> On Thursday 29 January 2004 01:01, Duane Clark wrote:
>     >>
>     >>> For some reason, a comment end is missing there. But otherwise, it
>     >>> seems to work fine with the one important app I use file
>     >>> notification on.
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> Which app is that?
>
>     Duane> Xilinx ISE, a program for use when designing with Xilinx chips.
>
> XST runs like a crawl, when started from the GUI. It speeds, when run from
> the command line. Is the behaviour of the file notification the reason for
> this behaviour?
>
> Bye

No, that is the named pipe problem. I retain a private patch in my tree,
which reverts the named pipe patch that causes the crawl. With that, ISE
works fine on a current CVS. It is my dream that one of these days, I'll
actually have some free time to investigate how named pipes work and
maybe try to fix it. I'd be happy to email the diff against the current
CVS to you if you want.

With ISE, I use an external file editor (because the builtin one is
junk), and ISE recognizes when I save a file with the external editor
and sets up to recompile. I believe that is the file notification
features for that, though I have not verified it.