Hel debugging windows app with wine(dbg) + gdb

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 31 04:38:26 CST 2004

> Logs with the WINECONSOLE set:
that shouldn't matter. The issue you got is linked to the wineconsole's
fonts configuration. You shouldn't need to use WINECONSOLE env var.
And setting it won't solve your issues.

> METHOD1:
> =========
>
> == First xterm:
>
> [leo at LeoLux 2]$ export WINECONSOLE=/usr/bin/wineconsole
> [leo at LeoLux 2]$ export WINELOADER=/usr/bin/wine-pthread [leo at LeoLux 2]$
> winedbg -- --gdb --no-start a.exe
> Using wine_path: /usr/bin/wine-pthread
> target remote localhost:34369
> 0000002e:0000002f: create process 'F:\tmp\2\a.exe'/0x4063003c @00401000
> (0<0>)
> 0000002e:0000002f: create thread I @00401000
> 0000002e:0000002f: loads DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ntdll.dll @400a0000 (0<0>)
> 0000002e:0000002f: loads DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\kernel32.dll @40330000
> (0<0>)
> 0000002e:0000002f: loads DLL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msvcrt.dll @40860000 (0<0>)
> Unknown option '--use-event=8'
this is still a wineconsole configuration problem. I still think your
wineconsole isn't properly setup.
I'd bet
wineconsole -- --backend=user wcmd
will fail (while it should work)

Note also since you're running with --no-start, you need, before
entering the 'target remote' command to:
1/ tell gdb which file it's going to debug (the wine loader) with the
'file' command
2/ use 'sharedlibrary' command
I strongly suggest that you don't use the --no-start command (winedbg
will do everything you need).

> METHOD 2:
> ==========
>
> == First xterm:
>
> [leo at LeoLux 2]$ export WINECONSOLE=/usr/bin/wineconsole
> [leo at LeoLux 2]$ export WINELOADER=/usr/bin/wine-pthread [leo at LeoLux 2]$
> /usr/bin/wine-pthread ./a.exe &
> [1] 2573
> [leo at LeoLux 2]$
>
> ==Second xterm:
>
> [leo at LeoLux 2]$ export WINELOADER=/usr/bin/wine-pthread
this one is not needed for gdb (only for winedbg)
> Reading symbols from /usr/lib/wine/libwine.so.1...
> (no debugging symbols found)...done.
where did you get wine from. looks like all modules are stripped.

> See, in this backtrace I get debug info for the wine executable.
> If I run gdb ./a.exe instead of gdb /usr/bin/wine-pthread, I do get
> (wrong) debug info:
again, gdb doesn't understand win32 modules, so it won't work with .exe
(you need to specify the wine loader as the program to debug under gdb)
A+