[Mono-winforms-list] Fw: [Mono-list] System.Windows.Forms plans.

Peter Dennis Bartok peter at novonyx.com
Thu Jul 1 22:14:45 CDT 2004

May I remind you that this thread was started by you, asking why we are
abandoning Wine, not by me complaining about Wine. All I did was give you
the reasons why we are no longer using Wine. You may not like them, you may
disagree with them, but the decision has been made. And there is really
nothing to be gained in nitpicking or pointing fingers.

I don't understand the comment about managed Quake, but we don't have to
create managed Wine. We simply have to create the SWF controls in managed
code and the underlying SWF framework. Wine doesn't have anything to do with
the framework, anyway, so it's down to the controls. And even by using the
Wine controls we still would have to either modify Wine to support the
additional functionality required by SWF, or subclass them, basically
recreating the drawing code for those controls and just using the WndProc
messages from Wine. So, you can see it's really just a small step to then
drop Wine and handle the management of Windows ourselves instead of using
Wine for it.

Not trying to be rude either. You asked, I answered.

Peter