Pango for BiDi

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Jul 2 03:00:37 CDT 2004

Mike Hearn wrote:

>Hi Shachar,
>
>I am reading your interview and a few words jumped out at me, mostly
>"BiDi", "shaping" and "unicode" - very vague I know, but if I
>understand correctly Pango is a library with advanced support for shaping
>and laying out all kinds of different scripts. Only stopper I can think of
>would be that it uses UTF-8 not UTF-16.

Pango uses fribidi for it's bidi. As fribidi doesn't do shaping, I'm not
sure where pango's shaping comes from. It may be an add-on.

In any case, I'm hoping that if/when fribidi starts to support UTF-16,
pango will follow. Last time I looked at it, we were too far off from
needing what pango had to offer. Getting a bidi edit control (sigh) is
much higher on my todo (for which I have no time :-( )

>Have you looked at this, or am I talking smack?

The really sad thing here is that ICU really has everything we need.
It's just that it's too simple for people to compile wine without it,
that is the problem.

>thanks -mike

Shachar