[Mono-winforms-list] Fw: [Mono-list] System.Windows.Forms plans.

Ferenc Wagner wferi at afavant.elte.hu
Fri Jul 2 04:28:27 CDT 2004

Hi,

I'm largely incompetent in this field, so please forgive my
fallacies in the comment below, but I felt sad reading

Steven Edwards <steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com> write:

> --- Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
>> PDB might not be able to fuss, but I will. I recently
>> asked about a way to figure out which version of Wine is
>> in use at run-time because of the recent changes to
>> wine_init()'s prototype. Alexandre appeared quite adamant
>> that he was against introducing any such mechanism.
>
> You are asking for stable interfaces and those can only
> come once there is a Wine 1.0. [...] All you are doing is
> pointing out that its not stable which is well known.

Well, not in my reading.  Paul's asking for a way to *know*
about (and act accordingly to) interface changes.  He asked
for an exported WINE_VERSION symbol for example.  Alexandre
didn't want to encourage that kind of version checks.
Right, one shouldn't check for API versions but for
features, and that's what people want in the first place
anyway (if I understand correctly).

>> [Wine] now is being used by (at least) 2 projects as a
>> *library*, and it can either accept that role - which
>> implies providing (at least) runtime version info - or
>> reject it, which would be a great shame.

It's not causing me warm fuzzies to see great projects
duplicating each others' efforts for the lack of open
negotiation.  Knowledgeable people, please propose something
to let these guys use and help Wine!
--
Feri.