Pango for BiDi

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Jul 3 07:21:16 CDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 11:47 +0300, Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> No, that won't solve the problem. For a package to be included in
> Debian, for example, it needs to be reconstructible by doing "apt-get
> source wine; apt-get build-dep wine"

To be frank I think that's Debians problem, or to more accurate the
problem of those who insist on using apt-get for everything. If WineHQ
provides high quality tested binaries with ICU included, they can use
that if they want BiDi.

There will *always* be random distros that have packaging policy that
conflicts with Wine, I don't think we should let that dictate our choice
of libraries. If we switch to FriBiDi maybe that fixes the Debian case
but breaks the Mandrake case, or whatever.

thanks -mike