RFC: OpenSSL vs NSS

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 9 11:58:04 CDT 2004

Hello,
I believe we have a licensing issue with the crypto implementation in
Wine and would like feedback relating to this. I know that some of the
OpenSSL developers monitor this list so please provide feedback.

The first question is in regards to the following:

Clause 3 of OpenSSL license:
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this
 *    software must display the following acknowledgment:
 *    "This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project
 *    for use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)"

This stipulation seems to introduce a incompatibility with the GPL. For
normal Wine this is not a big deal but if someone wants to make a
Winelib application that is GPL or if I want to take Wines Wininet and
Adavapi32 code in to ReactOS this presents a problem. Am I correct in
reading it this way?

If I am correct and it is incompatible with with GPL then would any of
the Wine developers object to changing out crypto implementation to use
NSS from Mozilla? I have spoken with the developers of Network Security
Services for Mozilla and it has recently been tri-licensed MPL/LGPL/GPL
on CVS tip. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/security/pki/nss/