Make wine honor LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Fri Jul 16 01:36:30 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:
>

>>If I have LC_CTYPE and LANG pointing at different things, it may be
>>because I want to speak one language, but have an encoding that belongs
>>to another. There is nothing broken with that, and there is no reason
>>not to support that.
>>

>That can't work, since there is only one active locale in the win32 world.

Huh?
With my patch LC_CTYPE affects the "system default locale". LC_ALL,
LANGUAGE (a mistake, I think, but couldn't convince Alexandre), and LANG
affect the "user locale". Hence - there are two locales in the Windows
world. If we implement the MUI interfaces, we will actually have three.

>Your problems are caused by X11 limitations, that X11 has no a notion of
>input locale, has no distinct locale for an active keyboard layout, and
>uses current system locale instead.

You are referring to problems I'm having with detecting keyboard
languages that have nothing to do with this patch. This patch is not an
attempt to solve those problems, and has nothing to do with them. It
also should not affect them.

> They adopted UTF-8 as a workaround
>for the whole problem instead of fixing it properly.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.