COM outproc & CFProxy unhandled interface for IRunnableObject

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Fri Jul 23 06:44:41 CDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:38:43 +0100, Robert Shearman wrote:
> Unfortunately, you have stumbled into one of the most confusing areas of
> the Win32 API that I think only one person in the world fully
> understands (Don Box in case you are wondering).

Yeah. I'm starting to suspect that Don kept piling crap into COM until
even he didn't understand it, and then said "screw that, let's start again
with .NET", hence all the MarshalByRefObject stuff there. Side-note:
bizarrely due to HTTP being a tier-1 RPC channel in .NET there's no way to
know if a .NET remoting connection drops without pinging it yourself.
Now they're scrapping that and working on "Indigo". Are Microsoft forever
doomed to reinvent DCOM over and over?