Make wine honor LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Sat Jul 24 09:34:27 CDT 2004

"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:

> Frankly, I'm not sure what problem that is. Dmitry, please explain what
> you find wrong with this patch.
>
> Windows has a property called "system locale". This property affects
> what codepage is used for non-unicode applications.

Even more confusingly there is also thread locale, but still it has nothing
to do with things you are trying to fix.

> Unix has an almost identical property, which selects how to interpret a
> string of bytes. This is selected by LC_ALL if it's defined, if not then
> by LC_CTYPE if it's defined, and if that's not defined then by LANG (man
> 7 locale).
>
> My patch initializes system locale according to LC_ALL if it's defined,
> LC_CTYPE if not, and LANG if both are not defined.
>
> Can you please explain what you see as wrong with that?

As far as I understand what you are trying to do and what the patch
Alexandre committed does is to make the user interface use english
while you still have an ability to type in your native language.

That's not how Windows does this, at least to my understanding. On my
english win2k with locale set to russian both GetSystemDefaultLCID and
GetUserDefaultLCID return 0419 (russian). I don't know how MUI enabled
Windows versions implement that functionality, but I don't think that
it's just the system locale.

--
Dmitry.