Is bugzilla worth keeping?

Jeroen Janssen japj at xs4all.nl
Sat Jul 24 14:09:32 CDT 2004

Well,

I personally think a bugtracking tool (like bugzilla) is needed for any
software development project. It helps you collect bugs on a central
place and you can keep track on the things that matter.

However, it will only work 'correctly' if both the developers and people
that submit bugs work together.

If there is no developer (activily) looking at the submitted bugs,
people will complain about it and probably stop submitting and go
somewhere else.

If there are no (non developers) submitting bugs, you could still use it
to 'implement' features, using the bugtracking tool to keep track of
what's happening.

Anyway, I don't know how bugzilla has been used in the past, but if I
have a simple look at the 'available' buglist, I see that bug 11 is
still marked as NEW (which sounds odd as it was submitted somewhere in 2000)

Maybe a "janitor" project to cleanup the winehq bugzilla is really
needed? But you would need some kind of plan to work on the 'backlog'.

You could:

* start on bug 1 going up and checking if it isn't solved yet.
Eventually you'll end up at the latest bugs, but that means you'll
probably hit a dead end often before you'll reap the benefits out of it.

* start on the last submitted bug going down, because it's most recent
found and probably fresh in memory & easily reproduceable. But that
might 'annoy' people who have longer outstanding bugs.

* etc..

Doing this might be a good job for developers wanting to start on wine
(me?) : trying to reproduce/pinpoint a problem, maybe solve it or hand
it over to a developer with enough information for solving the bug?

On the other hand, for now I'm probably just only interested in the bugs
I hit into and less interested in other peoples bugs (<sarcastic mode
on>after all, I want my program to run correctly, who cares if someone
elses program is running</sarcastic mode off>)

Anyway, just some of my thoughts...

Jeroen