Make wine honor LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Mon Jul 26 10:09:22 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>"Shachar Shemesh" <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> wrote:
>

>>>Why LC_ALL or LANG don't work for you then?
>>>

>>Please reread the patch. They are looked at, just not exclusively.
>>LC_ALL overrides everything, and LANG is looked at if no LC_CTYPE (or
>>whatever) is used. That's the order Unix does it (man 7 locale).
>>

>Well, I had read glibc sources and it's definitely ignores LC_CTYPE.

Maybe there is no part of glibc that cares what encoding it is. I can
tell you with authority that X does look at it, as does less, konsole,
kedit, and almost any other application I have ever run.

>No, it shouldn't. Again, I'd ask to use LANG or LC_ALL for that purpose,
>you can't have LANG and LC_TYPE point to different locales in a sane
>manner anyway.

?
Docs says I can.
Actual practice says I can (I do it all the time, as do many people in
Israel).
Please elaborate on why you chose to call a documented behavior *that
works* "insane".

>Sorry, I skipped other parts of your arguments.

          Shachar