MUI setup - preliminary conclusions

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Jul 27 14:39:33 CDT 2004

Ok, here is the preliminary conclusions from Windows XP MUI:

There are two setups in the system. One is the "language for the default
user and new user accounts". It affects the language people get when
they create a new user, and the language the login dialog is in. To
change that one, you need to run the MUI setup program. A restart is
needed to change this.

The second is an extra dialog in the Regional Settings dialog under the
"languages" tab, and it selects the language the current user will have.
You need to log off and log on in order to change this one.

At the moment, my system is set up with English, Hebrew and Italian
installed. I'm trying to figure out what exactly is passed to
FindResourceEx when FindResource is called. So far, it seems that
"LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_NEUTRAL" is used, but it's not definite yet. One
thing of interest, however, is that when LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_DEFAULT
is passed, the lookup is for the language used in the second case (the
user UI language), and when LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_SYS_DEFAULT, the first
one is used.

It seems to me that there is no need for wine to support two separate
languages here. Does anyone disagree with this?

Given the above settings, my current test program currently tests the
order between English(US), English(UK), English(Neutral),
Italian(Italy), Italian(Neutral), Hebrew(Default), Hebrew(Neutral),
Neutral and Neutral(Default). Are there any other languages I should
test for order by?

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh