Make wine honor LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Jul 28 02:14:22 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 11:04:24AM +0900, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> "Shachar Shemesh" <shachar at lingnu.com> wrote:
>
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;258047 says you
> > are wrong. My personal experience says you are wrong too, but that's
> > besides the point.
>
> You are misinterpreting that MSDN article, especially part about user
> locale. Since there is no official API to change user locale, what they
> call user locale settings are registry overrides for locale data. I already
> mentioned that on my english win2k with locale in Control Panel set to
> russian both GetSystemDefaultLCID and GetUserDefaultLCID return 0419
> (russian). That dismisses MSDN and your statements.
>
> Thread locale is completely unrelated thing.
After an exorbitant discussion ;-), maybe it would be a good idea to write
down the major parts of the result at some very prominent localization place
in Wine to make sure all greenhorne developers know what Wine locale stuff
should look like? Or this probably even belongs into the Developers Guide...

Andreas Mohr