Wine and locales

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Wed Jul 28 11:20:34 CDT 2004

Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:

>Ok, I have reproduced it now, my apologies for previous
>misunderstanding. But still, it really changes nothing.
>System default locale defines current ANSI code page,
>while user default locale simply puts the overrides to
>the registry for numbers, currency, date/time.
>
>I still want your patch to be removed until you at least
>write test cases showing what exactly APIs are affected
>by system/user locale.

Docs says system locale and LC_CTYPE do the same thing. My experience
says system locale and LC_CTYPE do the same thing. You yourself says
that system locale affects the ANSI code page, and that's what LC_CTYPE
does. I see no reason for further discussions myself. If Alexandre says
otherwise, I'll be glad to answer any specific concerns anyone has.

> Using LC_CTYPE for the system
>default locale (current ANSI code page) is very dubious
>choice as well. The whole purpose and the patch itself
>are pure hacks aimed to fix unexplaned side effects.

That's not how I see it. I have spent quite enough time on this
discussion to "write tests".

>Alexandre, please revert the patch until at least a test
>case is written and a better explanation provided what
>exactly wrong with locale controled by only LC_ALL and LANG.

I don't see any reason to revert the patch merely because you don't like
it. If you are so sure that the docs are all wrong, show us where.

             Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.