Wine and locales

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Thu Jul 29 13:20:38 CDT 2004

Filip Navara wrote:

> Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
>
>> We should not complicate things, especially since it's not clear at all
>> what APIs are affected by system/user locale differences.
>>
> System locale affects

System locale affects all *A functions. I.e. - it affects all ANSI
functions. Aside from this affect:

> - String comparsions
>  (IntlStrEqWorker[AW], lstrcmp[AW], lstrcmpi[AW])
>  Uses system locale after trying thread locale (which is
>  derived from user locale on thread creation).

Uses User locale. Not system locale. It determines the collation (sort
order). Obviously, it affects the A functions (lstrcmpA, etc.), but no
more nor less than it does CreateWindowA, FormatHardDiskA, or
AnyOtherFunctionA.

> - Resource loading
>  (FindResource & friends)
>  Uses system locale after trying Default UI Language (see
>  GetSystemDefaultUILanguage and GetUserDefaultUILanguage
>  or NtQueryDefaultLanguage) and user locale.

Actually, here I don't think system locale affects at all. I'll be able
to tell with more certainty later, though.

> - Input locale identifier
>  The thread default input language for system applications
>  (that are started before user logins) is derived from the
>  system locale setting. This probably isn't relevant for
>  Wine.
>
> And if you ask, no, I will not write a testcase, because it's
> sometimes hard for me to even understand the problems caused
> by different locales.
>
> Regards,
> Filip

          Shachar