Fw: CVS compile failure

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Wed Jun 2 15:26:46 CDT 2004

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 15:36:56 -0400, Paul R Streitman wrote:
> That was the problem!  In Mandrake you need a separate static devel
> package.  Its curious that I was able to compile kernels, x.org, older
> levels of wine, etc. without it...

Static libc is only used rarely. We use it in Wine because, well, Wine is
a rare sort of program :)

But seriously, there are very few technical reasons to make statically
linked binaries usually, in fact it can even be dangerous unless you
really know what you are doing (avoiding iconv/nss etc). We use one in
Wine because there is no other way to achieve the effect we need.