debugger symbols and NPTL on RedHat 9

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at
Wed Jun 2 15:54:08 CDT 2004

Eric Pouech wrote:

> Shachar Shemesh a écrit :
>> While I agree in principle, in practice symbol lookups *appear* to
>> work when winedbg is invoking the application directly.
> silly me. when run with gdb, the PE symbol lookup doesn't work, gdb
> doesn't know anything about PE. You need to use winedbg without the
> gdb proxy.
> But you will loose the GUI debugging part (à la DDD, or kdbg...).
> A+

Damn, I was afraid of that answer.

I really wanted to think that the symbol interpretation was done by the
backend (winedbg) rather than the frontend.

How possible is it to run "winedbg" as the backend to ddd/kdevelop
instead of gdb? Are they even remotely close enough in command line?

Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting