A bug in symbol loading in winedbg

Eric Pouech pouech-eric at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jun 12 12:00:10 CDT 2004

> Sample session of showdebug/semidebug$ WINEDEBUG=+dbghelp winedbg
> showdebug.exe
> Since there is lots of cruft there, I ran it once working and once not,
> and am only pasting the diff between the two here. Those marked with ">"
> are the lines when things are working (scroll to the end to verify). The
> command run was "break WinMain".
there are (at least) two issues:
- the first one is for .pdb files loading. It may well be that if you
change the '/' by a '\\' in FindDebugInfoFile in dlls/dbghelp/path.c,
you'll get to the files right (no need to use the S: directory)
- the second issue is a random crash in PDB/DBG loading
>> < err:dbghelp_msc:pe_load_debug_directory Got a page fault while
which prevent the symbolic info to be loaded, and hence the bp to be set.

The fix for the first item seems easy (if it's what I described above).
I'll send later a larger fix for symbol files lookup for dbghelp.
The second item seems a bit more trickier (may look like an
uninitialized var, but a cursory look at the code didn't shed no light).
  Knowing where the crash takes place would help. Could you run the
debugger in the debugger to get that ?
A+