3GB address space

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Jun 15 14:39:52 CDT 2004

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

>Steven Edwards <steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com> writes:
>

>>The flag that the application sets in the PE header is
>>IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE. According to Inside Windows NT, you can
>>change this is a existing application but running imagecfg.exe from the
>>support \directory in the Windows NT Advanced Server Edition CDrom or
>>by compiling your application with /LARGEADDRESSAWARE. According to the
>>book if you run the app on a normal Windows system then it should just
>>run it in the 2 gig address space.
>>

>Yes, this is why I'm surprised that there would actually be an app
>that requires the 3G address space, and why it would be interesting to
>get a test case for that failure condition.

There is no failure as of yet. The thing is that I know someone who
actually NEEDS 3GB, and they asked me to make sure that Wine can support
that. I am, of course, talking about a Linux kernel that is compiled
with bigmem support too.

The thing about providing a "proof of concept" is that without running
it on a bigmem kernel, I don't think there is any way of checking it.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.