3GB address space

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at shemesh.biz
Tue Jun 15 15:08:59 CDT 2004

Alexandre Julliard wrote:

>Shachar Shemesh <wine-devel at shemesh.biz> writes:
>

>>There is no failure as of yet. The thing is that I know someone who
>>actually NEEDS 3GB, and they asked me to make sure that Wine can
>>support that. I am, of course, talking about a Linux kernel that is
>>compiled with bigmem support too.
>>

>bigmem shouldn't matter, you can allocate 3Gb with a normal
>kernel.

Can you? I was under the impression that some addresses are reserved for
kernel addresses, or is that above 3GB?

> It's probably not possible with the default mmap algorithm
>though, this will need to be worked around.

I don't think mmap not working would be a problem. I don't believe it's
mmap that they are after. Still, for completness' sake, it would be nice
if we had that too.

> Do you know why they
>absolutely need 3Gb, and what they are doing with it?

Basically, they are keeping huge database-like memory structures in
memory for quick access. They are actually working on machines with 3GB
of RAM, and they need it accessable. I will need to run some tests, but
I think that they mostly do memory allocation and filling, not mmaps.

          Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.