[DCOM95] not installable: "a newer version had been installed"

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Wed Jun 16 09:21:22 CDT 2004

Hello Mike,

on 06/16/04 14:57, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:09:29 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
>> This is the first test of two: 'Adobe Illustrator 10' doesn't install
>> because a problem with the DCOM95 package
> Yes, the InstallShield/DCOM problems are well known. Me and Rob have
> started looking at this in the last few days, hopefully we'll have
> progress to report soon.
ok, nice to hear that someone is working on it.

> You have to run it like this:
>
> WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32=n" wine DCOM95.exe
>
> Yes, this is unintuitive, no there is nothing we can do with default
> config files/registry entries to fix it as the first thing DCOM95.EXE
> does it extract a file called "setup.exe" or some equally generic name
> and run it. You have to love Windows installers.
This does the trick for both DCOM95 and DCOM98 (as in the reported
logs). First, I got a message to debug a problem
=====
fixme:seh:EXC_RtlRaiseException call to unimplemented function
shell32.dll.SHGetSpecialFolderPathW
wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...
=====
but after the debug step I could continue installing DCOM95/DCOM98
without the previous problem.

Well, now I got another error for 'Adobe Illustrator 10', but I'll
report it in a new thread.

BTW, I supposed 'wine-devel' to be a better place than 'wine-user' to
report these problems becuase I'm making these tests after Mike's
question about 'wineinstall'. Please let me know if I should switch to
'wine-user'.

> WineTools basically sets up a fake C drive (same as our own
> wineprefixcreate) and then fills it with a ton of native DLLs. It's a
> solution you can use if you like, though the real fix is just to nail
> DCOM so it works out of the box.
Yes, I know the native DLLs of 'WineTools' :-) I've no preference for
the WineTools' fake_windows or the Wine one: actually, if I could use
the Wine one it'll be better, so the reason of my tests.

>> Is this the same problem reported as bug #1456 [4]? Or is it a problem
>> of mine?
> Yes, it's the same problem but that bug is old and can be closed. I
> changed email addresses and no longer have full access rights to the
> WineHQ bugzilla so I can't do this myself. Originally I thought by
> modifying the ole32 DLL version we could make it install but that's a
> catch-22 situation: modifying the version to allow it to be upgraded
> just stops other apps working because the DLL appears too old. The
> environment variable "fix" works, but isn't well known. It's in the
> #winehq FAQ but that's it, AFAIK.
Mmm, I can't find any hit for 'winedll' or 'dcom' in the WineHQ FAQ [1].

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca

[1] http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index