[DCOM95] not installable: "a newer version had been installed"

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed Jun 16 09:46:35 CDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:21:22 +0200, Luca Capello wrote:
> This does the trick for both DCOM95 and DCOM98 (as in the reported
> logs). First, I got a message to debug a problem
> =====
> fixme:seh:EXC_RtlRaiseException call to unimplemented function
> shell32.dll.SHGetSpecialFolderPathW
> wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...
> =====

Well this is very strange, this function is definitely implemented in
Wine. Try using

WINEDLLOVERRIDES="ole32=n,shell32=b" wine DCOM95.EXE

does that help?

> BTW, I supposed 'wine-devel' to be a better place than 'wine-user' to
> report these problems becuase I'm making these tests after Mike's
> question about 'wineinstall'. Please let me know if I should switch to
> 'wine-user'.

No, this list is fine. I'll try and fix the simpler problems as we go. Of
course, I'm not sure I should put too much effort into this as soon the
config file will "reappear" but in the registry :)

> Mmm, I can't find any hit for 'winedll' or 'dcom' in the WineHQ FAQ [1].

I meant the #winehq channel FAQ I (badly) maintain. See here:

http://bylands.dur.ac.uk/~mh/wine-faq.html

I guess this should be linked to from winehq really, it is more about
specific problems with specific apps than the official FAQ which is more
general.

thanks -mike