docu update

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Fri Jun 18 18:29:03 CDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 07:26:23PM -0400, Vincent Béron wrote:
> Le ven 18/06/2004 à 17:44, Alexandre Julliard a écrit :
> > That's easy, they will complain about the thing wineinstall takes care
> > of, like not having write access to the build tree, conflicts with the
> > installed rpm, missing ld.so.conf entry, etc.  These things were added
> > to wineinstall precisely because many people complained about them.
>
> ./configure --without-hand-holding could skip over those tests, and they
> would be there for a straight ./configure. It wouldn't have to be very
> documented...

I don't think we should do that. First of all, none of the problems
mentioned are wine specific, and I don't think we need to try to
fix them like that. Second, as I have already argued, it seems most
of our builders from source are already power users, and are most
likely used to the configure; make cycle well enough that they don't
need the hand holding. In fact, they most likely hate it (as I do).
The Linux user landscape has changed quite a bit lately, to the point
where having wineinstall probably does more harm than good.

--
Dimi.