Wine on FreeBSD current

John Birrell jb at cimlogic.com.au
Tue Jun 22 16:43:07 CDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 11:36:16PM +0200, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Jun 2004, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > Well, there's a reason for that reservation code, and it's that some
> > Windows apps require it; so unless you find some other way to ensure
> > that FreeBSD never allocates anything above 0x80000000, the
> > reservation code can't really be made optional.
>
> ...and in fact, Alexandre, wouldn't it be better to have _some_ apps
> broken under Wine on FreeBSD than a completely broken Wine on FreeBSD
> for all apps?

While there aren't many FreeBSD people using Wine, I can't see the Wine
folks wanting to spend any time jumping through hoops for a negligible
user base.

In fact, it's possible that the code to change FreeBSD's mmap address
allocation algorithm is actually simpler than the changes to Wine
required to make the registration code optional. I need to do more work
to confirm that, but that's my gut feeling at the moment.

--
John Birrell