How to handle odbc/registry

Bill Medland billmedland at
Mon Jun 28 13:48:07 CDT 2004

The builtin odbc32.dll basically simply proxies the underlying unix ODBC
provider (e.g. unixODBC or iODBC).

I have just discovered that somewhere in the compilation/link phase under
Windows some standard ODBC function calls somehow actually get translated
into direct registry calls.  For example the SQLGGetInstalledDrivers call
actually gets translated into an OpenKey and EnumerateKey on the

So should we have code within the registry code that recognises access to the
ODBC tree when odbc32 is builtin and redirects it to the corresponding calls
to the unix ODBC manager?

Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at