Fix for programs that store VirtualQueryEx results in signed integers (eg. The Borland Linker)

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Wed Mar 3 19:01:36 CST 2004

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:36, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Well, it's currently broken on Solaris, and on some Linux distros
> (RHEL3 for instance). The main problem is that we have to prevent the
> kernel from allocating things above 0x80000000, but we still need to
> be able to put things there ourselves, like Win9x native dlls. This
> will require some restructuring of the memory management code.

So you'd rather ensure that we hold one or more anonymous maps reserving
everything above 0x80000000 (except for NT emulations, assuming the 3G
emulation is to be preferred, or there's an option for 3G), and when the
system needs to allocate something there, free a portion of the anonymous map
and reallocate?

Presumably this should all only apply to PE files since Winelib files should
be sufficiently aware of where they're running to be able to deal with
whatever the system wants to do with its memory.