Branching/version control [was Re: cards.dll]

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Wed Mar 17 07:44:50 CST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 00:15:32 +0100, Jakob Eriksson wrote:
> I am very happy to see this level of cooperation between Wine and
> Reactos at all.  Remember, the linux kernel gets forked all the time,
> patches are tried out and the good ones percolate up to Linus' tree.

Perhaps Wine should start considering a kernel-like approach with some
developers having their own trees where some experimental patches are
tried out first then percolate up to Alexandres tree?

Another thing I'd really like to see is a move to GNU arch version control
- it makes distributed development and branching a *lot* easier. I
talked to Alexandre a bit about this at WineConf, and he mentioned on IRC
that when arch is supported by emacs he'd think about it. Well, I now see
on arch-user that there is such support, and the arch tools are maturing
rapidly (see zoomarch etc).

It might be worth doing an experiment on using arch for Wine development.

Maybe if I get some time this holiday I'll try reviving my program to
parse CVS commit messages back into filesystem operations and begin
keeping an arch archive in sync with CVS so people can try it out. The
last time I tried it I found turning commit messages into FS ops reliably
was a pain in the ass, but I'm better at shell scripting these days.

I already parse commit messages in realtime for CIA (our irc commits bot)
so I could easily extend this and put the results on navi.

What do people think?

thanks -mike