Branching/version control [was Re: cards.dll]

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Wed Mar 17 08:31:28 CST 2004

On March 17, 2004 8:44 am, Mike Hearn wrote:
> Another thing I'd really like to see is a move to GNU arch version control

arch sure sounds interesting (except for the file naming conventions :)),
but before we can consider switching we *must* have infrastructure
available that's comparable to the CVS one. And here I mean:
  - cvsweb: for web browsing
  - cvsup: for fast synch
  - patch: for the winehq-cvs messages

Given that repositories are just files on FTP servers, maybe cvsup is
not needed, but the patch facility we have is a must.

When all that is in place, we may consider looking into it, to see
if the switch is worth the pain. Please remember that virtually
everybody knows CVS, whereas almost no one knows arch, so for new
(and existing developers) it's a big pain to switch. So we must
have some pretty important reasons to go down this path, and
"arch is a cool concept" does not qualify :)

--
Dimi.