Win32 packages released on sourceforge

Dimitrie O. Paun dimi at intelliware.ca
Mon Mar 22 10:21:56 CST 2004

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004, Paul Millar wrote:

> 'k.  AFAIK, that won't work like that (because of the COFF/PE internal
> checksum field)  but it that's easily worked around: just build twice.
> The second time use the "real" WINE_BUILD date.  Shouldn't hurt much.

Right. Moreover, the "fixed" build we should do without the revision
information (see Feri's email, he points you to one of my emails
describing it :)), while the real build should include the proper
WINE_BUILD tag, and the revision info.

> Anyone should be able to reproduce the output by extracting this date
> (from the .zip filename, or from winetest.exe), "cvs up -D"-ing and
> cross-compiling themselves.

There are several problems with a variable build time, but the biggest
one is that one can not tell when Alexandre finished the commits for the
day just by looking at wine-cvs messages. If you look back 5 years, you
will not see a single instance of commits at say 4am, yet there will
be plenty of examples where any (not overly complicated) algorithm
will fail to detect the end of the commits for the day.

The build is time consuming, and it will take the better part of the
day to do a proper: build, distribute, test, gather results cycle.
We gain almost nothing with a CVS-based trigger, other than unwanted
variability. Having a well defined nightly build just simplifies everybody's
life, it's simple to document, and understand. Please lets not complicate
things just because we can.

--
Dimi.