winetest: run with -mwindows

Ferenc Wagner wferi at afavant.elte.hu
Wed Mar 24 16:36:17 CST 2004

Jakob Eriksson <jakov at vmlinux.org> writes:

> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>
>> this patch solves the immediate problem, but is not the
>> full solution.  How do you write a program which has both
>> GUI and CUI?  Is there any way to use standard IO in a
>> program compiled with -mwindows but run from a console?
>
> Hmm... what is the problem with GUI and command line
> interface.  I don't think there should be any particalur
> problems, what happens?

For redirecting standard output to a file, I used

dup2 (fh, 1);
printf ("Thing to write");

which didn't work in the cross-compiled program if it was
linked with -mwindows.  This issue is solved by using
write() directly thus bypassing the stream level.  Linking
without -mwindows pops up a console, which is ugly and
unnecessary, unless you use the -c command line option to
select console mode.  But once you link with -mwindows, you
can't use stdio etc. on any level, not even if the program
is run from a console.  Which means that you can't have a
program which both has a GUI and CLI, selected by some
mechanism.  The only way out is actively using the console
API, at least to my present knowledge.  I would be more than
happy to stand corrected.  It can't be such an exotic
situation!
--
Feri.