i810 audio fixes 1/2

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sun Mar 28 05:54:41 CST 2004

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 05:31:01 +0200, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> Only if you don't use kernel-level OSS emulation or the "hw" alsa
> device, I think. If you use alsa with the "default" or "plughw" devices,
> plugins will resample for you (and those plugins are able to "fake"
> mmaps). I'd think it's probably not a good idea to use ALSA plugins
> instead of Wine's own resampling functions, though.

OK. Francois seemed to think our own resampling would always be worse than
alsalibs resampling - is there a reason we should use our own instead of
alsalibs?

> You can still go straight to the card's DMA buffer if you avoid plugins
> (either by setting a sample rate that matches the card's, or by using
> the "hw" device... and you probably need the latter anyway to find out
> which sample rates the card supports).

In that case I guess my patch was fixing the wrong thing, as I altered it
to use the default device instead of hw (though it can be changed back in
the registry). I'm still unhappy with the idea of direct access - if we
circumvent the ALSA plugins system we'll never co-operate correctly with
dmix/asym which is going to result in a ton of user unhappiness once these
features are deployed (they are still a bit buggy but getting there fast).

As even Windows these days has decided to drop direct access in favour of
software emulation and mixing, why shouldn't we do the same?

thanks -mike