Vertical font problem

paolo inzaghi winedev at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 02:54:32 CDT 2004

Hi,
I'm porting a Windows application to Wine and I found 2 problems.
For simplicity I wrote a simple Window application (attached to the mail)
that use two TextOut to write the strings "Horizontal" and "Vertical".
The text is written horizontally and vertically, setting the lfEscapement
field of the LOGFONT structure respectively to 0 and 900.
The application, compiled with MSVC 7.0, works fine in Windows, but it has
two problems when it is executed inside with wine-20040408 environment.

First problem:
after the application starts, the two strings are not shown.
To see the strings in Linux, I force the sending of a WM_PAINT message when
the user right click the mouse.
By the way, if you minimize and then restore the application, the strings
disappear.

Second problem:
even when shown, the vertical text is not correctly shown. A large amount of
space is left between the string characters.
Note that the problem arise every time you set the lfEscapement to something
different from 0.
If I use 3600 to show the "Horizontal" string, it also is badly shown (in
theory 3600 should be equivalent to 0).

Please, could you help me ?

Regards
Paolo