supported apps page, crash reporting, and phoning home on success

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sat May 8 14:16:26 CDT 2004

On Sat, 08 May 2004 00:16:23 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I was looking for a newbie project recommendation
> (for someone else, not me!), and figured
> "pick a popular windows app, and firm up wine support for it"
> would be a good one.

Well, depends how much they know about coding. Picking a random app and
debugging it is risky - it could be a super-easy fix or it could be a
total nightmare that would even stump Alexandre. There's just no way to
know. That sort of thing is great as long as you are willing to drop the
app and move on if you can't solve it.

> Maybe we need to add a 'phone home' sort of option
> to Wine so that it gives people the option of
> uploading crash and/or success data for each app the
> user runs to winehq?  It could upload once a day,
> no need to upload any more often, probably.

I think it's been discussed before, but the obvious problem is what do we
do with all the crash data? Who is going to analyse it? Not me. We really
don't have the manpower to deal with triaging bugzilla let alone doing
something useful with crash reports. Maybe if the Wine team quadrupled in
size overnight .....