Running "United Devices Agent"

Roger Olson u60 at comcast.net
Tue May 11 16:25:13 CDT 2004

Saulius Krasuckas Wrote:
> Can you compare it to info given by this page:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/createremotethread.asp

Yes, http://members.toast.net/obc (near the bottom) I linked to two pages
out of
my VS6 (patched to SP6) app help file (converted to html) describing the
call and the structure.  It's interesting that the VS6 help would indicate
CRT() suported in
win98 in contradiction to the MSDN compatibility inferences.
Now I'm snowed :-).

> That sounds at least strange for me.  Times ago I would have been thanking
> god for being able to call CreateRemoteThread() on my win98se box.  Just I
> was unable to "find" it inside kernel32.dll here then. :-/

I am going to attempt, with my very limited program abilities, write and
compile a hopefully simple VB6 app to call this function but, given my
learning
curve, it may take me awhile.  Whether it works or not will at least let us
know which MS document is most correct and post back results.  If you have
the
time and inclination, perhaps you could do it much faster than me.  Since
the
United Devices agent is also written in VB6, it will give me the ability to
test the new app in wine to determine once and for all if CRT() is the true
cause of UD not processing any data when started.

> Yeah, I've noticed that.  Still, this req. sounds too artificially for me.
> And I am afraid UD Agent will run even with Wine version set to win31. ;-)

I hadn't thought of that as I know the agent will not "install" with win95
or
earlier but might run on earlier versions.  Will give it a try later today
and post
results.

Thanks, Roger