Running "United Devices Agent" (was Unhandled API Call to Kernel32 Question)

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Tue May 11 17:22:27 CDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004 13:48:38 -0700, Roger Olson wrote:
> That is really a generous offer and greatly appreciated.  I am both
> interested and motived, believe that I am competent, dedicated and a
> fairly good troubleshooter, a good self studier but only have some VB
> experience.  If this provides enough of a basis for me to become helpful,
> count me in and point me where to start reading.

Sure. Be warned : this would be a major project for you. There is a
huge world of difference between writing VB apps and writing a
Windows emulator.

First thing you need to do is learn C. Unfortunately VB
doesn't cut it at this sort of level, C and possibly assembly is what you
need, don't worry about asm for now.

Once you've got a handle on C (don't worry if you find it hard at first,
when I started on Wine I didn't really know C that well either), look at
the POSIX signal APIs. Play about with test apps sending signals between
them.

When you feel comfortable with C and signals, you need to propose a design
for the CreateRemoteThread implementation. I can suggest one if you get
stuck. If people seem to think it's OK, you need to go ahead and write a
patch and submit it. Good luck!

thanks -mike