Running "United Devices Agent"

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Wed May 12 04:50:52 CDT 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Roger Olson wrote:
> Saulius Krasuckas Wrote:
> > Can you compare it to info given by this page:
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/createremotethread.asp
>
> Yes, http://members.toast.net/obc (near the bottom) I linked to two
> pages out of my VS6 (patched to SP6) app help file (converted to html)
> describing the call and the structure.  It's interesting that the VS6
> help would indicate CRT() suported in win98 in contradiction to the MSDN
> compatibility inferences. Now I'm snowed :-).

Thanks, I see now.

> > That sounds at least strange for me.  Times ago I would have been
> > thanking god for being able to call CreateRemoteThread() on my win98se
> > box.  Just I was unable to "find" it inside kernel32.dll here then.

Ignorant me - I haven't checked export table of kerne32.dll of my win98se.
It seems CreateRemoteThread() really sits there:

[s2 at katleriai s2]$ winedump -x dump /mnt/wD/windows/system/kernel32.dll | grep -iC1 createremotethread
  00039518   199 CreateProcessW
  000394FD   200 CreateRemoteThread
  000075ED   201 CreateSemaphoreA

Sorry for the wind.

> I am going to attempt, with my very limited program abilities, write and
> compile a hopefully simple VB6 app to call this function but, given my
> learning curve, it may take me awhile.  Whether it works or not will at
> least let us know which MS document is most correct and post back
> results.  If you have the time and inclination, perhaps you could do it
> much faster than me.

Learning curve mine "lags" even more ;-), and my experience is only of a
"advanced user" type.  As I have some own critical situations to handle my
hands are off this testing.

> > Yeah, I've noticed that.  Still, this req. sounds too artificially for
> > me. And I am afraid UD Agent will run even with Wine version set to
> > win31. ;-)

I am not anymore sure about this.  Sorry.