Exporting symbols

Dan Timis timis at museresearch.com
Wed May 12 18:34:19 CDT 2004

Hi,

We need to have a library that links statically to a wine application.
The wine application is an .exe.so, so everything becomes in the end an
exe.so.  The problem we have is that all the symbols are exposed.

I have very little experience with Windows, but I understand that with
a Windows DLL you can export certain functions, while hiding the
others.  I know that's also true for the Mac.

Is there any way to export only the functions that are called by the
code we link to, without exposing the internal workings?  Ideally we
would like to be able to provide a static library created with ar or
ranlib, link that library with other object files to create a .exe.so
for wine, but when you do "nm" on the resulting .exe.so you would not
see all the inner workings of our library.

Is that possible?

Thanks,

Dan Timis
Muse Research, Inc.