Exporting symbols

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Thu May 13 04:39:42 CDT 2004

On Wed, 12 May 2004 19:45:42 -0700, Dan Timis wrote:
> After running strip on the .exe.so if we do nm -D all the symbols are
> still there.  Is there any way to get rid of the ones that are not
> needed for dynamic linking?

Dmitry is right, ask on the binutils list. However if you hide symbols
using the --retain-symbols-file trick or versioning scripts, you may be
able to mangle the symbol table without breaking anything. Why not try it
- write a program to scan .symtab for the symbols you want to hide and
scramble the strings. I'd be interested to hear the results.

ELF was not really designed for code obfuscation like this though. I think
nvidia use a preprocessor to mangle symbols in the final binary, if you
ask them they may be willing to tell you how it's done (maybe even give
you the code).

thanks -mike