symbol hiding

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Fri May 14 07:40:06 CDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 21:33 +0900, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> It's even uglier. Instead of resolving the problem that guys decided
> just to hide it.

It's not necessarily bad. The information being there may be ugly, but
it *can* be useful. If we didn't have that, we'd be unable to use the
pthread overrides trick for non-NPTL systems.

> Sigh, I still think that ELF is inherently sick, and inventing new (intrusive)
> workarounds makes it even worse.

Maybe. But let's face it, the alternatives aren't much better. The only
real competition is PE (Windows)  which is worse than ELF in many ways,
and Mach-O (MacOS/X) which is so appallingly primitive it just blows my
mind that a shipping OS actually uses it.

Given the alternatives, we could have a lot worse than ELF!