Regression with Blizzard patching software

Aneurin Price alp108 at student.cs.york.ac.uk
Thu May 20 17:10:34 CDT 2004

I recently discovered that the software used by Blizzard to patch Diablo
2 and Warcraft 3 (and possibly the same version used with other games),
has stopped working. It starts do do something, but before actually
applying the patch it crashes out, with the final error message being:

Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit
code (0x408ba2e0).
In 32-bit mode.
0x408ba2e0 (DIALOG_CreateIndirect+0x300 [dialog.c:636] in USER32.DLL):
movl    $0x0,0x0(%eax)
139             return TRUE;
Wine-dbg>WineDbg terminated on pid a

The whole of the scrollback buffer is filled with the usual messages
about loading debug information. I could run it with script to see
what's happening before that, but I don't think it's really necessary:
Since this *used* to work, I've gone through some CVS regression testing
and determined that it stopped working sometime between 2004-04-19
22:00:00 and 2004-04-19 22:03:00 CST, so I'm willing to bet that this is
what changed: http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-cvs/2004/04/0272.html
Since I have no understanding of what's going on here I really coudn't
suggest a fix, but I'm happy to provide any further information I can
and thought this would be worth pointing out.
Aneurin Price